Follow up on harmless (?) `ERROR No such file or directory (os error 2)` logs

I’m following up on this post.

I understand that removing [[statics]] and using ENV RAILS_SERVE_STATIC_FILES="true" works, but I’m looking for clarity on what that means (what was [[statics]] doing?), and also if the bug has been fixed and I’m doing something wrong, or if the bug hasn’t been fixed yet (RE “and is a bug that will be fixed shortly”).

Thanks!

CC: @rubys

At the time there was a pull request that was thought to fix this problem. It subsequently was merged, but I too can confirm that it didn’t fix the problem. I reopened the issue.

What does [[statics]] do? Well the fastest responses are the ones that Rails never sees. [[statics]] will serve content from your public directory (which includes precompiled assets) without the request ever making it to puma or rails.

When the code that handles statics gets a request that it can’t handle it passes that request to Rails – and currently when it does so it produces a log message. I, too, would like to see that log message go away.

2 Likes

Thanks for the super quick & helpful reply. That all makes sense.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.