flyctl deploy always using remote builder

I am using the default Dockerfile builder but it looks like it always triggers the remote builder

docker deploy

My understanding is that in this case it should use the local Docker daemon (unless I set the --remote-only flag. Do I miss anything?

Thank you.

Remote only is the default now a days. Let me know do you see the opposite documented!

Try out --local-only (i think - it’s something like that) to force a local build.

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer.

--local-only works indeed like you suggest and uses the local Docker daemon

The docs say the opposite, or at least it is a bit unclear IMO

If you have Docker running locally, it builds it on your machine. If you don’t have Docker running locally, it builds it on a Fly build machine. Once your container is built, it’s deployed!

Just popped in to say that I experienced the same as the original poster. I’d recommend you update the documentation to be more clear that this is not out of the ordinary. I read the instructions at Deploy via Dockerfile · Fly Docs and understood the quoted section above to mean that if I have a working Docker installation, remote builds would happen, and I then hit up Google to try and work out what was broken when remote was selected despite a functioning Docker build environment locally.