flyctl app create fails with status code: 500

Hello all. I’m new here and to fly.io just trying to get my hands on this stuff, but I’m having a difficult time.

I have installed the flyctl tools on my local machine, and added credits to my account. However, when I try to create an app, I get this error Error: server returned a non-200 status code: 500

The full console output:

user@host:~/devel/fly-apps/adguard$ flyctl app create cloud-adguard
? Select Organization: [REDACTED] (personal)
Error: server returned a non-200 status code: 500

In this folder, I have a Dockerfile, the supporting AdGuardHome.yaml file, and a fly.toml file

The Dockerfile contents:

FROM adguard/adguardhome:latest as base

EXPOSE 80 443/tcp 443/udp 853/tcp 853/udp

RUN mkdir -p /opt/adguardhome/conf && \
    mkdir -p /opt/adguardhome/work && \
    mkdir -p /certificate

COPY AdGuardHome.yaml /opt/adguardhome/conf/AdGuardHome.yaml

The fly.toml file:

[build]

[[services]]
  internal_port = 80
  protocol = "tcp"
  auto_stop_machines = true
  auto_start_machines = true
  min_machines_running = 0
  [[services.ports]]
    handlers = ["tls", "http"]
    port = 5000

[[services]]
  internal_port = 443
  protocol = "tcp"
  [[services.ports]]
    port = 443

[[services]]
  internal_port = 443
  protocol = "udp"
  [[services.ports]]
    port = 443

[[services]]
  internal_port = 853
  protocol = "tcp"
  [[services.ports]]
    port = 853

[[services]]
  internal_port = 853
  protocol = "udp"
  [[services.ports]]
    port = 853

[[vm]]
  cpu_kind = "shared"
  cpus = 1
  memory_mb = 256

No matter what I try, I cannot get anything going, and the only thing I see on my commandline is the same error.
Error: server returned a non-200 status code: 500

Please help

Hey Mark, sorry for the trouble. The 500 was caused by a bug formatting an error message telling you about a billing issue. A fix for that is going out now, but I don’t know what’s causing the billing issue so I’m asking some other folks to take a look. Feel free to retry, but we’ll follow up once we figure this out.

Thanks for looking into it. Not sure when that fix will be applied, but I’m still getting the same error here. The billing error is interesting. I bought credits and the Accounts → Organizations → Personal page shows the credits, and says ‘Good Standing’ for status.

At first I thought the error was due to the ‘Personal’ organization, so I attempted to create a new org, under my profile, but that is wanting payment details also, so I’m not sure if that’s where the error is coming from. To be clear, i’m trying to create the app on my ‘personal’ org, which is the one with the credits.

Update: I’m not seeing the 500 error now, but instead Error: We had an issue retrieving your latest invoice.

My account was created a few days ago, and I’m on the hobby plan… Not sure what this is about.

@michael, were you able to get answers or should I reach out to billing?

Hey yes could you reach out to billing? I’ll keep an eye out for it so we can do a little closer debugging.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.