fly-log-shipper shuts down after a few minutes; incorrect docs

Hey there. I googled “fly log sink” and found (and followed the directions in) this post: Shipping Logs · The Fly Blog
Those instructions are actually also present when I signed up and added a source with Better Stack. It was working great for several minutes. Then I saw this in the logs:

2023-08-15T21:41:27.978 proxy [d891de3a4177d8] iad [info] Downscaling app [app-name] in region iad from 1 machines to 0 machines. Automatically stopping machine d891de3a4177d8

Unsurprisingly, the logs stopped after that :grimacing:

Couple of things:

1. Clearly, the docs should be updated to reflect the fact that downscaling needs to be turned off. Or, is there a better solution?
  2. Why are issues turned off in the repo? GitHub - superfly/fly-log-shipper: Ship logs from fly to other providers
  3. There’s an instruction to change the internal port from 8080 to 8686. Why is that, exactly?
  4. Perhaps the documentation/post should be updated to change “Logtail” to “Better Stack”. Also, fly logs ship (is that going to come out of beta at some point?) is labeled as “Ship application logs to Logtail” so that could be renamed too, or removed.
2 Likes

I got bitten by this as well. I had to add auto_stop_machines = false to fly.toml and alert on no logs show up for a period of time

Would be nice to reflect this in docs

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.