Elixir Getting Started Guide

Thanks. If memory serves, I saw those errors and warnings on the first deploy as well as subsequent ones. They stop appearing after a minute or two.

Hi @Mark I have some feedback on the static cookie and observer guides, hope this is the right place for them.

First of all, thanks a lot for writing them! I learned a lot getting my elixir app running on fly and even found some bugs in how I was handling configuration for my gigalixir setup :slight_smile:

On to the feedback:

You suggest setting the cookie in the releases function in mix.exs. I tried to avoid this as I didnā€™t want the shared secret to be in my code repository. I know that weā€™re relying on the wiregaurd tunnels for security more than this static cookie, but still it felt like bad form to me.

In the docs I saw

At runtime, we will first attempt to fetch the cookie from the RELEASE_COOKIE environment variable and then weā€™ll read the releases/COOKIE file.

I set the RELEASE_COOKIE using flyctl secrets set and everything worked perfectly!

I think this would make the process a little easier, and can be done in the same step in the guide where we set SECRET_KEY_BASE.

Secondly, this is very minor, but the observer script should start with #!/usr/bin/env bash for portability (Iā€™m a nixos user and have been trained to do this always :smiley: )

Finally a question: I can connect to IEx by either sshing in or connecting using distributed elixir like we do for observer.

Do you think thereā€™s any advantage to either?

Hi @Mark, thanks for the guide. Unsure why but cloning the sample repo (changing nothing at all) and following the guide, it doesnā€™t want to deploy.
Have tested in both Sydney and Virginia (the default) regions.

Hereā€™s the final lines of the deploy

Running: `/app/bin/hello_elixir eval HelloElixir.Release.migrate` as nobody       
         2021/07/08 00:38:42 listening on [fdaa:0:2f24:a7b:ad6:f8da:1834:2]:22 (DNS: [fdaa::3]:53)
: not foundpp/bin/hello_elixir: /app/releases/0.1.0/env.sh: line 2:
         Main child exited normally with code: 127
         Starting clean up.
Error Release command failed, deployment aborted

Any thoughts on how to get this deployed, or whether I need to make changes to the repo before itā€™ll work?

Hi @samw! I canā€™t tell whatā€™s wrong from the output. What is the app name that was generated for your instance?

Hey @brainlid, generated name is crimson-forest-7023. Happy to supply more logs too if thatā€™d help.

I also tried building the docker image and thatā€™s possibly where the problem is? It built successfully but wouldnā€™t let me run the container (although could start the container in the ash shell per your comment here).

The main difference I see in your logs is this line:

/app/bin/hello_elixir: /app/releases/0.1.0/env.sh: line 2: 
: not found

The env.sh file is generated when building a release from the env.sh.eex file.

Going by the error ā€œnot foundā€, I canā€™t tell if the file wasnā€™t found or there was an error performing a command from that file.

One thing you can try is to SSH into the app (if that works given itā€™s state) and see if the file exists /app/releases/0.1.0/env.sh and if, so, you can cat it to see that it was generated correctly.

I assume you changed the fly.toml file. It needs to have your appā€™s name.

@Mark the fly.toml has app = "crimson-forest-7023"; thatā€™s the generated name it gave. Tested changing it to app = "hello_elixir" but that gives Error not possible to validate configuration: server returned Could not resolve App so I donā€™t expect thatā€™s what you meant. Just did flyctl launch again and itā€™s now named broken-snow-4053.

It must be failing too early in the deploy to let me SSH into it; returns Error connect to SSH server: dial: lookup broken-snow-4053.internal. on fdaa:0:2f24::3: no such host

If I build the Docker container locally and try run it directly, it exits with a similar error, returning : not foundlixir: /app/releases/0.1.0/env.sh: line 2: (looks like it overwrites part of the message somehow).
Connecting directly with docker run -it --rm hello_elixir /bin/ash and using cat on the env.sh file as requested, looks normal to me:

/app $ cat releases/0.1.0/env.sh
#!/bin/sh

# Sets and enables heart (recommended only in daemon mode)
# case $RELEASE_COMMAND in
#   daemon*)
#     HEART_COMMAND="$RELEASE_ROOT/bin/$RELEASE_NAME $RELEASE_COMMAND"
#     export HEART_COMMAND
#     export ELIXIR_ERL_OPTIONS="-heart"
#     ;;
#   *)
#     ;;
# esac

# Set the release to work across nodes. If using the long name format like
# the one below (my_app@127.0.0.1), you need to also uncomment the
# RELEASE_DISTRIBUTION variable below. Must be "sname", "name" or "none".

ip=$(grep fly-local-6pn /etc/hosts | cut -f 1)
export RELEASE_DISTRIBUTION=name
export RELEASE_NODE=$FLY_APP_NAME@$ip
export ELIXIR_ERL_OPTIONS="-proto_dist inet6_tcp"

Not sure if itā€™s relevant but I couldnā€™t run the env.sh file due to missing permissions (could well just be a Docker quirk that doesnā€™t affect this though)

@samw Locally running the Docker container will fail because ENV settings like $FLY_APP_NAME wonā€™t exist.

When you run flyctl launch, it generates the app name for you but it also regenerates the fly.toml file. My question about that file is really like, ā€œIt needs to be different ā€“ it needs your app name, but it gets overwritten when you generate an app nameā€¦ so you have to edit back in some of the settings.ā€

When working with a cloned repo, thatā€™s the one file where it becomes a little sticky.

@brainlid so just to confirm the order:

1. git clone https://github.com/fly-apps/hello_elixir-dockerfile hello_elixir
  2. cd hello_elixir
  3. flyctl launch
  4. flyctl deploy

This should work with no changes? Thatā€™s the impression I get from the guide; Iā€™ve double-checked and the generated fly.toml uses the existing settings so the only change that flyctl launch makes is to app at the top (confirmed in git diff).

Do I have to make any changes or should those 4 commands in a row just work?

@samw Thanks for working with me on this! Iā€™d like to iron out any kinks people might have and update the guide/repo if needed.

Hereā€™s the steps needed:

1. git clone https://github.com/fly-apps/hello_elixir-dockerfile hello_elixir
  2. cd hello_elixir
  3. flyctl launch - Donā€™t deploy yet. Keep the generated app name in fly.toml but revert the other changes.
  4. Go through the process of Preparing to Deploy section. You need a database to connect to, and the ENV values set for your app. Both for the mix phx.gen.secret and the database connection.
  5. flyctl deploy

There is a little bit of a dance that happens the first time you deploy an app that uses a database. Because the database app must exist first for the app to start. The step with setting the ENV for the mix phx.gen.secret as a secret will appear to fail when you first run it because the app canā€™t be deployed yet. But you just want the ENV set and that works.

I just went through the process and cloned, launched and deployed so otherwise it should all work.

@Mark sorry thatā€™s still not working! I actually went through that full process the first time and just did again with a new testing DB; exact same error. Switched from organisation account to personal in case that helped but no luck. Anything you guys can double-check to see what itā€™s actually building?
Iā€™m running this on Windows too in case thatā€™s relevant (shouldnā€™t be but who knows); can try again on wsl if you think that has a shot.

The one other thing that may be relevant is that creating the DB failed monitoring:

Monitoring Deployment
Error 1 error occurred:
        * No deployment available to monitor

I can see the DB fine in the apps dashboard though and it attached fine.

Hmm. Looking at the logs for your newly created app, itā€™s the same issue.

/app/bin/hello_elixir: /app/releases/0.1.0/env.sh: line 2: 
: not found

If you run flyctl secrets list, does it inclue DATABASE_URL and SECRET_KEY_BASE?

Yes both of them are there:

NAME            DIGEST                           DATE       
DATABASE_URL    8024c100fe1aefec9ae93f39ce8af633 36m14s ago
SECRET_KEY_BASE 0aee23febbe904ae148ba7a6047b2742 53m56s ago

Well thatā€™s good.

You can try building it where the Docker build happens on Fly servers using the --remote-only flagā€¦

fly deploy --remote-only

You can try that to help rule out if the problem is the local Windows build environment or not.

I donā€™t have Docker running locally at the moment so is building remotely already, but just ran it again with that flag to confirm.
Had Docker up yesterday and same issues though.

@samw did you ever try this with wsl? The ā€œnot foundā€ is suspicious, like a fileā€™s not getting added to the docker context.

@kurt just tried with wsl and got an entirely different error! Looks like the pipe to Docker shuts part-way through:

Deploying spring-smoke-2645
==> Validating app configuration
--> Validating app configuration done
Services
TCP 80/443 ā‡¢ 4000
Remote builder fly-builder-throbbing-frost-6382 ready
==> Creating build context
--> Creating build context done
==> Building image with Docker
ERRO[0604] Can't add file /c/programming/fosters/site_track/hello_elixir_wsl/_build/dev/lib/ecto/ebin/Elixir.Ecto.Repo.Queryable.beam to tar: io: read/write on closed pipe 
ERRO[0604] Can't close tar writer: io: read/write on closed pipe 
Error error building: error building with docker: error during connect: Post "http://fly-builder-throbbing-frost-6382.internal:2375/v1.41/build?buildargs=%7B%7D&cachefrom=null&cgroupparent=&cpuperiod=0&cpuquota=0&cpusetcpus=&cpusetmems=&cpushares=0&dockerfile=Dockerfile&labels=null&memory=0&memswap=0&networkmode=&platform=linux%2Famd64&rm=0&shmsize=0&t=registry.fly.io%2Fspring-smoke-2645%3Adeployment-1625796128&target=&ulimits=null&version=": write tcp [fdaa:0:2f24:a7b:ce2:0:a:100]:48674->[fdaa:0:2f24:a7b:ab8:0:299e:2]:2375: endpoint is closed for send

Tested that disabling VPN didnā€™t fix it.
It sat for ages before that with the line Sending build context to Docker daemon 1.049MB, then replaced that with the error messages.

I noticed that the file it canā€™t add is _build/dev/lib/ecto/ebin/Elixir.Ecto.Repo.Queryable.beam. So it fails to add a dev build (should be prod) of a dependency.

Yeah thatā€™s weird; just ran through the same process so not sure why it would be different.
Happy to set WSL aside again though & revisit the other build (got a lot further through) - given the fly deploy --remote-only failed too, what are the next steps to debug this?
I can try with a new account and a different dev machine if that would be useful.

@Mark I just made a fresh account under a coworkerā€™s email and deployed the same repo from scratch. Same error! Itā€™s even on a different machine (still Windows) so really not sure what to do now.