Deploy node with ffmpeg - 'Cannot find ffprobe'

Hello! :smile: I use fly.io to deploy a nodeJS app. With the help of the ‘fluent-ffmpeg’ package I use ffmpeg for video transcoding. The package requires that the PATHS for ffmpeg and ffprobe are set, however I am not sure how to achieve that inside the fly.io enviorment.

In my dockerfile I install ffmpeg however when trying to use it, the package throws the ‘Cannot find ffprobe’ error since it cannot locate the PATH for it.

# Install packages needed to build node modules
RUN apt-get update -qq && apt-get install -y ffmpeg && \
    apt-get install -y build-essential pkg-config python

I would appreciate any ideas on how to get this to work! :rocket:

That’s not the right place to add the package - that will only make that package available during the build stage.

Try running:

npx dockerfile --add ffmpeg

Just curious, is there some npm module that you are using that wraps this? If so, dockerfile-node could automatically add this package if the module is detected.

Nevermind! You mentioned the package. I’ll add it.

Edit: fixed: support fluent-ffmpeg · fly-apps/dockerfile-node@723618f · GitHub

If you update dockerfile-node and run npx dockerfile your dockerfile will now install this package.

Thank you for the extra fast changes and correct response rubys!! :rocket: ffmpeg is now included through the dockerfile :smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.