Challenge #5a: Single-Node Kafka-Style Log: what is stats.by_f.crash?

what is stats.by_f.crash?

:stats {:valid? true,
         :count 17291,
         :ok-count 17288,
         :fail-count 0,
         :info-count 3,
         :by-f {:
                :crash {:valid? false,
                        :count 3,
                        :ok-count 0,
                        :fail-count 0,
                        :info-count 3

What is crash.info-count?

What are those :crash invokes?

INFO [2023-03-17 13:04:49,673] jepsen worker 1 - jepsen.util 3	:invoke	:crash	nil
INFO [2023-03-17 13:04:49,674] jepsen worker 1 - jepsen.util 3	:info	:crash	nil
INFO [2023-03-17 13:04:49,674] jepsen worker 0 - jepsen.util 0	:invoke	:crash	nil
INFO [2023-03-17 13:04:49,674] jepsen worker 0 - jepsen.util 0	:info	:crash	nil
INFO [2023-03-17 13:04:49,676] jepsen worker 1 - jepsen.util 5	:invoke	:assign

Are you processes exiting? I’ve seen that when a process panics before.

The Maelstrom protocol docs are a bit more ambiguous:

Crash - Indicates that some kind of general, indefinite error occurred. Use this as a catch-all for errors you can’t otherwise categorize, or as a starting point for your error handler: it’s safe to return internal-error for every problem by default, then add special cases for more specific errors later.

No, my processes are not crashing and especially the overall maelstrom results are valid true.

Those are invokes from maelstrom workload. The same kind of strange as :assign invokes. Who knows whatever they are.

The doc you have mentioned is for the error codes that the nodes can return to the maelstrom dispatcher.

I suppose the original workload wants to test durability and maybe tries to crash the nodes. But what is the assign invoke I have no idea. On the other hand the system is not complaining that there is no crash handler in my code.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.