Can't recreate pg from snapshot: "The database was created using collation version 2.31, but the operating system provides version 2.36"

Hi —

My fly dashboard says:

Service Interruption, 7 hours ago
We are performing emergency maintenance on a host some of your apps instances are running on. Apps may be unavailable until the maintenance is completed.

The machine and its volumes are shown as unavailable in the dash; I can’t run any commands against them or attach new machines. So, presumably, I should recreate the database from a snapshot, then detach and attach:

fly postgres create --snapshot-id vs_XX
[…]
Restoring 1 of 1 machines with image flyio/postgres-flex:15.6@sha256:XX
Waiting for machine to start…
Machine XX is created
==> Monitoring health checks
Waiting for XX to become healthy (started, 1/3)
Error: context deadline exceeded

I’ve tried a bunch of times. Different locations, different machine sizes, different snapshots. None go healthy, all timeout. So let’s look at the pg logs to see why it’s not healthy:

FATAL: database “repmgr” does not exist
WARNING: database “postgres” has a collation version mismatch
DETAIL: The database was created using collation version 2.31, but the operating system provides version 2.36.
HINT: Rebuild all objects in this database that use the default collation and run ALTER DATABASE postgres REFRESH COLLATION VERSION, or build PostgreSQL with the right library version.
Registering primary
ERROR: template database “template1” has a collation version mismatch
DETAIL: The template database was created using collation version 2.31, but the operating system provides version 2.36.

That sounds like mismatch between the OS and the pg build, neither of which I believe I can control. But could I work around it by connecting to the unhealthy database and running that command?

fly pg connect -a XX
Error: no active leader found

Any bright ideas appreciated. Looks like the same as this unresolved post.

Edit: solved it, leaving this here in case it’s helpful.

1. Look the various versions of postgres-flex, shown here
  2. Try restoring against different versions, ie. fly pg create --snapshot-id vs_XX --image-ref flyio/postgres-flex:15.1@sha256:4af8e07ae57ff7d31228b32ceebd34bf7508c131bc86f67c2025c669b56eff70
  3. Eventually get it right.
1 Like

Did you try this by chance?

Thank you, I did. Didn’t work as I couldn’t get a pg prompt. I added a little “Edit:” comment to the bottom my post shortly after posting it, showing how I resolved the problem.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.