Bandwidth Clarification

Hello. Do apps hosted in the US region have 100GB/month or is that If I access my app from the US region? Let’s say I host my app in India, then would I have only 30GB/month?

Fly bills for Outbound transfer at edge, not where the VMs are located.

This is made evident in this blog post where Kurt goes,

If you do the … math, you’ll estimate that our cost to deliver 1GB of data in North America is about $0.006 per GB. In Singapore it’s about $0.012 per GB. These are pretty close, but they aren’t exact. We have roughly 11 different bandwidth rates, depending on the facility and region we’re running servers in. We also pay for bandwidth between servers and regions. One GB of data from Singapore to an end-client in New York City has two different “costs”. [2]

Inflicting that complexity on you all would help with margin control, but ugh. What we’ve done instead is set a blended price that fits most apps running on Fly.io, and decided to just eat the extra cost from outliers. If you want to exploit that, run an app in Sydney with a whole bunch of users in India. We’ll lose money on your app and you will win one round of capitalism.

Do apps hosted in the US region have 100GB/month

No.

…or is that If I access my app from the US region?

Yes.

Let’s say I host my app in India, then would I have only 30GB/month?

No. 30GB free-tier for egress (outbound traffic) at Fly.io’s edge in India. Your Fly VM could be running anywhere, doesn’t matter.

1 Like

So, if a US resident accesses my app, the data from 100GB/month would be subtracted and if I get traffic from India, it uses the 30GB/month. Am I correct?

So, if a US resident accesses my app, the data from 100GB/month would be subtracted and if I get traffic from India, it uses the 30GB/month. Am I correct?

Yes, you got it.

Thank you!

Can you please look at this?

Thank you very much for your reply, once again!