Request for deep dive: Phoenix Presence, a CRDT for mortals

We’re enamored with CRDTs. And also excited that Phoenix includes a CRDT implementation for Presence. We’re pretty sure that future full stack apps will need more CRDTs – everyone has a distributed systems problem. This is true for almost any kind of app that could benefit from offline or collaboration features. Basically, all apps.

The problem is, CRDTs are high concept math and there isn’t much out there connecting that high concept math to practical developer problems. Which is why Phoenix Presence is so cool.

What we’d like is a CRDT deep dive that starts with Presence, goes deep on CRDTs, and tells full stack devs what kinds of problems they can solve once they wrap their head around them.

We have a couple of deep dive blog posts about Docker and Firecracker that are good examples of what we’re after. If you think you can write at that level, understand Phoenix, and can go really deep on CRDTs, post here! Alternatively, you can email editors@fly.io (though we’d prefer you work in the open through our forum).

This is a difficult article. We’re paying $2,500 for it. If you aren’t yet an experienced writer, you should skip this one (we’ll have future options that are a little easier to tackle).

1 Like

Look forward to this! When I saw a brief mention of the same topic at Requests for articles: full stack Elixir guides and technical deep dives I was tempted to have a crack myself. But it’s beyond my current Elixir/Phoenix level (currently teaching myself and while there’s not much particularly difficult or novel in it, Phoenix does have a fair bit of surface area to get familiar with). Fascinating topic though, and as you say, underserved.

I’m impressed with the standards you are setting for documentation and these tech backgrounder posts.

1 Like

We’re actually looking for content based on other stacks as well! If you want to do a deep dive on something from your preferred runtime you should definitely post about it. We love, love, love theoretical technical topics turned practical.

1 Like

I’ll keep my feelers out for something interesting & tractable in the BEAM/Elixir/Phoenix/LiveView arena. Although I am new to the stack, it has my full attention right now (ie. I’m in a rush to acquire fluency with it!). There’s a lot there I’m keen to explore, and if I can combine some of that exploration with something of interest to you, all the better.