Feedback/requests from a Rails perspective: apps grouped with a shared deployment story, one-off apps/machines, and pipelines

I started working at Fly a few weeks ago with the initial goal of making Fly as easy (hopefully easier) than Heroku :slight_smile:

Yeah, I love this about Heroku. Fly does it a bit differently with the processes directive in the fly.toml file and it’s kind of buried in the documentation. I recently documented it for Sidekiq at Sidekiq Background Workers · Fly Docs and Fly Launch configuration (fly.toml) · Fly Docs. There’s a few bugs that were just fixed with respect to multi-region scaling, so I’m going to update those docs.

Me too! I wrote some one-liners at Running Tasks & Consoles · Fly Docs, but I agree, it doesn’t feel as clean as running a console from a machine that’s not serving up traffic. I’m pushing for something like fly exec rails console internally, but I’m not sure yet where that will lead. I should probably open an issue for that on Github and get more community responses for the proposal.

Machines is new and there’s going to be a LOT more use cases it opens up for everybody, including streamlining the ephemeral machine workflow.

I haven’t gotten this far yet, but I’m aware of Heroku’s Pipelines and want to write a guide on multiple environments on Fly. If this workflow is working for you pretty well, I may use it as the basis for this docs.

Thank you for doing this! Your feedback is really helpful and will make Fly much better for future Rails developers. I never blame users, so if there’s anybody that needs to be forgiven its me for not having coherent docs for you (and others) to follow.

It will! Next week we’ll have two people working full-time on making Rails work great on Fly with an awesome Dev UX. You can expect a “more heroku like” experience over the next few months :slight_smile:

3 Likes