Failed to start remote builder heartbeat: server returned a non-200 status code: 500

Getting this issue as well and destroying the builder didn’t help.

all works, just retry

Detroyed the apps, but still cannot deploy an app.

Error code:
WARN Failed to start remote builder heartbeat: failed building options: failed probing “personal”: context deadline exceeded.

Error: failed to fetch an image or build from the source: Failed to connect to Docker: failed build options: failed probing “personal”: context deadline exceeded.

apparently time helps with that. i mean it helped in my case, i experienced the same error over and over since i destroyed the builder and then after some time on another try it just did it.
so if there is a key, i’m unaware of it. i wrote to this topic tho, i fave a feeling it’s got some magic power that solves mysteries

Waiting and trying is not an option for me, there must be a solution for me and others who have the same problem.

I chose fly.io because the deploying is very comfortable for me, but if I can not provide a single app here for days, then I have to look for an alternative. Currently it is very frustrating.

1 Like

This happens to me as well. I destroyed my builder, a new one got created, which seems to be way slower and leads to this “personal” error:

I hope retrying will work for me as well. Have you continued to run ‘fly deploy’ until it worked, or have you done something else extra?

I noticed this was an issue for people around a year ago as well: Error: failed to fetch an image or build from source

For those experiencing the issue:

WARN Failed to start remote builder heartbeat: failed building options: failed probing “personal”: context deadline exceeded.

Could you try running fly wg reset and see if that gets things going?

Here is the doc for reference- fly wireguard reset · Fly Docs

Hello, I was just going through this process of resetting my wg, i did both the normal reset, and the flyctl wireguard websockets enable followed by agent reset, and I can confirm neither have returned a positive outcome in the fly doctor and fly deploy scenarios. The issue persists, sadly.

What is the output when you run fly doctor?

Hello, these are the results after I run fly doctor

Testing authentication token... PASSED
Testing flyctl agent... PASSED
Testing local Docker instance... Nope
Pinging WireGuard gateway (give us a sec)... FAILED
(Error: ping gateway: no response from gateway received)

We can't establish connectivity with WireGuard for your personal organization.

On threads from a few months ago of this issue, I notice that websockets enable was the fix for most of the people, sadly this wasn’t the case here, as I have already tried both suggested solutions :frowning:

1 Like

Update from my end:
Strangely enough, after multiple fly deploy attempts, my builder finally connected and my app is up and running!
Thanks support for sticking around and for the help! Hope you have a great day :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Also checked with fly doctor and got the following message:

Testing authentication token… PASSED
Testing flyctl agent… PASSED
Testing the local Docker instance… Nope
Pinging the WireGuard gateway (one second)… FAILED
(Error: ping gateway: no response received from gateway).

We cannot connect to WireGuard for your personal organization.

WireGuard is running on 51820/udp, which may be blocking your local network.

If this is the first time you are using ‘flyctl’ on this machine, you
you can try to run ‘flyctl doctor’ again.

If this worked before, you can ask ‘flyctl’ to create a new peer for you
create a new peer for you by running ‘flyctl wireguard reset’.

If your network may be blocking UDP, you can run ‘flyctl wireguard websockets enable’,
followed by ‘flyctl agent restart’, and we will run WireGuard over HTTPS.

Similarly, I tried ‘flyctl wireguard websockets enable’ and ‘flyctl agent restart’ but had no success. The test to local Docker is still failing.

Update:
Still failing to deploy…

==> Verifying app config
Validating T:\app\fly.toml
Platform: machines
✓ Configuration is valid
→ Verified app config
==> Building image
WARN Failed to start remote builder heartbeat: failed building options: failed probing “personal”: context deadline exceeded

Error: failed to fetch an image or build from source: error connecting to docker: failed building options: failed probing “personal”: context deadline exceeded

I’m also getting the same issue since today.
All checks are passing with fly doctor.
I also tried flyctl wireguard websockets enable, agent reset and fly wg reset

Platform: machines                                      
✓ Configuration is valid                                
--> Verified app config                                 
==> Building image
WARN Failed to start remote builder heartbeat: server returned a non-200 status code: 500

Error: failed to fetch an image or build from source: error connecting to docker: server returned a non-200 status code: 500

Could one of the moderators maybe give us some feedback that there is currently a problem with the deployment at Fly? An info would be the least…

Hey, what region are deploying into?

I’ve fixed my issue after destroying all my builders with app destroy builder-name and running fly deploy.

I have done this too, no fix for me…

I tried the following ones with no success:

Amsterdam, Netherlands (ams)
Stockholm, Sweden (arn)
Paris, France (cdg)
London, United Kingdom (lhr)
Warsaw, Poland (waw)

I’m using Frankfurt

Frankfurt is not showing up when fly ask´s me to choose an region