Can't deploy from home

Hey there,

I can deploy my app from the office with no issues. For some reason, I can’t deploy from home due to network issues.

Logs:

❯ fly deploy
==> Verifying app config
--> Verified app config
==> Building image
Remote builder fly-builder-throbbing-resonance-278 ready
==> Creating build context
--> Creating build context done
==> Building image with Docker
--> docker host: 20.10.12 linux x86_64
[+] Building 804.5s (0/1)
 => [internal] load remote build context                                                                                                                                            804.5s
[+] Building 815.9s (1/1) FINISHED
 => ERROR [internal] load remote build context                                                                                                                                      815.9s
------
 > [internal] load remote build context:
------
Error failed to fetch an image or build from source: error building: error during connect: Post "http://[fdaa:0:....:2]:2375/v1.41/build?buildargs=null&buildid=upload-request%3A33a057f....96833b45cc&cachefrom=null&cgroupparent=&cpuperiod=0&cpuquota=0&cpusetcpus=&cpusetmems=&cpushares=0&dockerfile=&labels=null&memory=0&memswap=0&networkmode=&rm=0&shmsize=0&target=&ulimits=null&version=2": write unix ->/Users/elephantshadow/.fly/fly-agent.sock: write: broken pipe

My guess is that Fly.io has some firewall configuration which blocks me from the deployment. I can’t see where it’s configured though.

Hi Azer, this could be a big directory or file that’s uploading slowly. Try running du -sh in the same directory you are running fly deploy to see approximately how much is getting uploaded to the remote builder.

If you don’t have a .dockerignore file already, try making one and excluding the things that are not needed like build artifacts that will be created in docker build (e.g., _build for elixir, node_modules for nodejs, etc).

@tvdfly thanks for the answer :slight_smile: In a fresh new project, I have the exact same issue and this time there isn’t any big files at all. There is only node_modules and it’s ignored.

To highlight, I can deploy without any issues from office. Weird enough, it only fails at home.

Just in case anyone runs into this. I had this problem because of a network filter (Little Snitch in my case).